July 1 – 7 , 2023
4-H member must be at least 15 years of age and in 9th grade or higher by the first day of the trip. This one-time trip is an exciting experience for 4-H members to go to the nation’s capital and learn more about the meaning of citizenship. Listening, learning, sharing, receiving, caring, and touring combine to provide a deeper respect and understanding for our American heritage and the principles, processes, and structures of the U.S. government. The trip will be made by Purdue charter bus with a delegation of Indiana 4-H members and youth will stay at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, Maryland.
During the CWF program week, delegates will:
- Strengthen communication, leadership, and civic engagement skills on a national level
- Understand the importance of Youth Voice and the skills necessary to make change in your community, such as civil discourse and media literacy
- Exchange ideas, practice respect, and form friendships with other youth from diverse backgrounds
- Experience hands-on learning using the historical backdrop of our nation’s capital city, Washington, DC, as your classroom
- Create a plan and work with your fellow delegates to develop the steps to carry out the plan upon your return home, to make a difference in your community.
Learn more about Citizenship Washington Focus and read testimonials from previous attendees by visiting the website at: http://www.citizenshipwashingtonfocus.org.
Application Process – Due March March 1st, 2023
Current Porter County 4-H members who are high school students and will be 15 years of age or older at time of the trip are eligible to apply. Previous participants of an in-person CWF trip are not eligible to reapply. Please apply by completing the following application and submitting it to the Extension Office no later than Tuesday, March 1st, 2022.