May Meeting – Monday, May 17th, 6:00 pm
Mark your calendars for a meeting at the Expo Center’s Patio Room (and via Zoom – https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/93223616627) on Monday, May 17th. We’ll have a guest speaker from the Porter County Tobacco Coalition to talk to our group about the dangers of vaping. Bring a friend along to hear this important presentation! We will also have snacks, door prizes, and an intro to the 4-H Buddy program!
Join the Indiana 4-H Road Show – an alternative to the on-campus summer 4-H activities
This year, the usual 4-H overnight experiences like 4-H Academy and 4-H Round-Up will not be held in their usual format. Instead, Indiana 4-H is going on the road for 18 different one-day experiences hosted throughout the state. Locally, we will host “Community Change Starts with Me” on Wednesday, June 23rd and “Grilled Pizza Garden Cook-Off” on Thursday July 1st. Other sessions will be offered in other nearby counties! Learn more at https://extension.purdue.edu/4h/Pages/roadshow.aspx. Registration will be through 4HOnline and Porter County 4-H Council will pay the registration fee for enrolled Porter County 4-Hers, just mark that you’ll be paying by check during the registration process. (Participation in the Road Show would work for a state level event for your JL portfolio/incentive system!)
4-H Junior Leader Day at Indiana Beach – Save the Date
Save the date of Monday, June 14th for the annual Indiana Beach day for 4-H Junior Leaders from around the state. As of now, the White and Carroll County Junior Leaders who host this day are planning on safely hosting both the day at the amusement park AND the Madam Carroll dance cruise in the evening. More details to come.
Library Summer Programs – Animal Showcase
The Porter County Library is inviting 4-Hers to showcase their animals as part of the summer reading program that is all about animals! We’ve been invited to the Portage Branch Library at 2:00 on Tuesday, June 22nd and the South Haven Branch on Wednesday, June 23rd at 2:00. Here’s what I need:
- An adult or teen volunteer to coordinate and be our contact person with the libraries and with other 4-Hers who are willing to participate.
- 4-Hers willing to participate by showing off their animals and talking to others about their animals and about 4-H
- Evyenia Lawley and her mom Deena will be heading up the June 22nd event. Thanks to them for volunteering!
Contact email@example.com if you’re interested in helping out! This is a great opportunity for our 4-H program to reach out to areas where 4-H is not at predominant. This would also look great in your JL portfolio!
All-New Elite Opportunity! Indiana 4-H Ambassador Program – due June 1st
This is an all-new prestigious statewide leadership opportunity for 4-Hers in grades 8-11, that would look great in your Jr. Leader portfolio, and on future applications and resumes for various awards and positions outside of 4-H! I hope many of you will apply, as we would love to see Porter County represented among the first-ever group of Indiana 4-H Ambassadors!
The mission of the Indiana 4-H Ambassador program is to empower teen 4-H leaders with the knowledge, skills, and aspirations necessary to be effective advocates for the Indiana 4-H program. Those selected to serve as Ambassadors will:
- Promote 4-H with potential members, parents, and the general public
- Help conduct statewide 4-H events
- Organize 4-H promotional activities
- Represent 4-H in a public relations role with community partners and sponsors
- Develop personal leadership skill and self-confidence
- Develop and/or enhance skills related to leadership such as conflict resolution, facilitation, teamwork, decision-making, respect, and communication
- Accept and incorporate constructive criticism to enhance skills
- Explore and apply diverse concepts of civic engagement
- Teach others, facilitate discussions, and public speaking
To apply, 4-Hers must submit a short application and video by June 1st:
Video Submission – https://flipgrid.com/4hambassadors