Make sure to get up to date on YQCA certification. Check out the article on this blog for all the information.
- Saturday, May 7, 2022: Feeder steer weigh-in day, 9 am-11am at the Cattle Barn at the Fairgrounds. We ask that you try to arrive at least 15 minutes before the 11:00 time if you plan on coming later. This way we can have our cleanup crew ready to go at 11:00. All feeder steers will be getting weighed and RFID tags at this time. Any finish steers that did not have an RFID tag and need one, please bring this to weigh-in. This will allow us to tag the animal prior to the May 15th entry deadline. Again we will ensure that there are State Fair envelopes available for those that need them. Our committee does a really good job of cleaning up afterwards. We always have a few helpers, but if you’re able to help, we would always be willing to take extra sets of hands.
- Monday, May 16, 2022: (Switched to the first business day after May 15 since it falls on a weekend) 4-H Online Animal ID entry deadline. This is for all projects, not just livestock so please be aware that this needs to be in and complete by this date. Last year there was some leniency after not having a fair the previous year. This year we are adhering to the deadlines. If you have questions or need help please feel free to reach out to myself, Dean, Angel, or Joan at the 4-H office.
- Saturday, July 23, 2022: Dairy heifer and dairy steer check-in. Animals need to be in no later than 2:00 (especially steers) as we will begin our steer weigh-in at 2:00 p.m. Last year got a little chaotic at check-in/weigh-in. We do have a system and ask that you please listen to committee members and follow the system to keep our check-in running smooth. If you have animals being released on Friday night, such as goats, you are able to bring in your cattle at that time in order to minimize trips. If you have a dry cow and would like to bring them on the 23rd that is acceptable too.
- Wednesday, July 27/Thursday, July 28, 2022: Dairy Cow check in can be done on the evening of July 27th after 5:00 pm or July 28th before 6:00 a.m. Also, during the same time frame, we need all remaining Dairy worksheets that have not been turned in. Completed worksheets must be turned in prior to showing.
- Thursday, July 28, 2022: We are back to our original show day. Our show starts that morning at 8:00 a.m. As usual, we will ask that the beef remain off the wash rack that morning for us. In return we asked that Dairy members do not use the wash rack on July 27th until after 2:00 p.m. We give them a little bit bigger time frame, because as we’ve learned in the past, as they spray off some of their colored show products, it is difficult to get off of some of our white animals.
Thank you so much and we are looking forward to a great Fair season.
Dean Morrow, 219-241-6367, email@example.com
Amber Wilson Cable, 219-476-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org